Monday 27 August 2012

Long-tailed Skuas galore!

Monday 27th August 2012
A somewhat frustrating day with some good seawatching to be had, but I missed the main prize!
Helen and I spent an hour early this morning in "the shelter" but the weather seemed weak in comparison to the forecast with lighter winds and no rain and after an hour we only had a single Artcic Skua to show for it and a few terns. Of course, I know justice cannot be done if seawatching for only an hour, but I lost faith due to the seemingly quiet sea. Later, I soon got slapped in the face after DC called me later in the morning telling me he had just had a LT Skua pass the front along with at least a dozen Arctic Skuas and a few Bonxies! I shot down there to see 4 Arctic Skuas and 3 Bonxies, but my time was limited.

I had another go this evening, but again things were not amazing though Arctic and Common terns, a couple of Arctic Skuas, a few Manx Shearwaters and 2  Balearic Shearwaters were
very welcome all the same. However, with Long-tailed Skuas being seen all around me with a number of birds past Seaton/Beer (2+ birds), Dawlish (4+ birds) and Berry Head (9+ birds), I felt like I'd missed out! A bit like having a nice meal out but missing the pudding!
Never mind, Wednesday's weather looks good................

No comments:

Post a Comment