Monday 3 October 2016

A break from Groundhog day!

The local patch has been hard work of late with not a great deal to show for one's efforts! However, it is still early days and I am sure it is just a matter of time before all those gems from Shetland just filter down to us in the South West - Positive Mental Attitude!

Anyway, sometimes it is good to have a change of scene, so I headed down to Cornwall and popped in to Davidstow Airfield. I love Davidstow, as it was the place I saw my very first Buff-breasted Sandpipers in September 1992 - I even hitched there from Plymouth! A few weeks later I returned in October of the same year to see a Black-winged Pratincole!

The reason for today's visit was a fine juvenile Baird's Sandpiper. A bird I first remember from my youth when reading Richard Millington's Twitcher's Diary with the memorable and still apt description of "a weetabix on legs!"

Hope you enjoy....

This photo shows the pale loral spot, clear breast band marking and long primary projection 



Scaly appearance of a juvenile and again the pale loral spot quite conspicuous


This photo gives a good feel for the structure and plumage in comparison to the Dunlin which it was associating


No comments:

Post a Comment