Sunday 18 March 2018

Snow in Budleigh again!


I was overseas for the last snow event in Budleigh a couple of weeks ago, so I was quite excited to see this rare event again. For me it was the first time since 2010. 

Helen and I went for a wander along the River Otter and I ventured out again during the late afternoon. Golden Plover were the stand out hard weather movement species, with a minimum of 500 birds around the scrapes, cricket pitch and estuary. Certainly the most I have ever seen on the Otter! Luckily, they all seemed to be feeding despite the poor weather. Other notable species for the Otter were 5 Pintail and a drake Red-breasted Merganser, both scarce species here. Other species today included flocks of 40+ Fieldfare, 40+ Meadow Pipit, Shoveler, Wigeon, Teal, Mallard, Curlew, Chiffchaff and surprisingly just 2 Lapwing. Plus 2 Stock Dove and a Siskin, both from the garden!

I just hope it is not too severe on the birds again, but inevitably there will sadly be some casualties and it is meant to freeze tonight. I saw two Chiffchaffs looking for food on the pavement on Budleigh High Street on our way back home.


Otter Estuary

Part of the Golden Plover flock on the scrapes

Part of the flock on the Estuary

Drake Red-breasted Merganser - A scarce visitor to the Otter

The sound of Golden Plovers arriving was almost continuous

More Golden Plover!

The River Otter

A Common Chiffchaff having a tough time

Snowman on the beach at Budleigh
Pintail on the scrapes
Incoming Golden Plover!

No comments:

Post a Comment