Thursday 1 September 2022

Curlew Sandpipers

Absolutely made up to find 3 beautiful juvenile Curlew Sandpipers on the Otter Estuary this evening. Only the second time I have seen Curlew Sandpiper on the patch and that was back in September 2013 and was one bird!

Other recent patch birds have included good numbers of Yellow Wagtails on the top fields, including quite a striking grey plumaged bird, that made me look twice! Not heard to call. I was also gutted to find one of the Yellow Wagtails had become trapped in the excessive netting being used on the farmland! Despite failing to release it yesterday as it vanished within the huge maze of netting, I returned this morning and was chuffed to find it again. I was very relieved to finally release it successfully. and it flew off strongly calling.

Also good numbers of Swallows and Martins feeding around the top fields. A couple of Hobby have also been a nice treat and a species I see surprisingly infrequently on the patch.

Two juvenile Curlew Sandpipers

Three juvenile Curlew Sandpipers

Grey-looking Yellow Wagtail

Excessive netting on South Farm

Juvenile House Martin


No comments:

Post a Comment