Friday 31 August 2018

Wildfowl and Hirundines

This morning a visit to the hide on the east side of the Otter proved frustrating as no sooner had I arrived than I saw a flock of around 20 Teal flying down the estuary. A quick scan revealed one of the birds appeared to show a pale grey forewing just before the flock disappeared out of view and then re-appeared heading west over the sea! The best I could do was get the photo below. It doesn't help at all, but I was pretty certain it was a Garganey. I just wish I had seen it just one more time. I have only ever seen one Garganey on the Otter in autumn and that was on the 23rd September 2013. Also this morning was the distinctive call of a Bar-headed Goose in with the Canada Geese. It soon revealed itself and it's the first time I have seen it this autumn, now back for its 4th year!

Notable birds this evening included: a Greenshank and 10 Teal on the estuary, 250+ mixed hirundine flock, 2 Yellow Wagtail and a Wheatear.


Spot the Garganey!

Great to see family groups of Swallows, House Martins and Sand Martins gathering at South Farm

Family of House Martins

Sand Martin and Swallow

A lone young Northern Wheatear

Male Southern Hawker - quite a few around at the moment

No comments:

Post a Comment